Community Residential Living
Community Residential Living is a support service for people with long-term physical, intellectual and/or sensory disabilities.
Our clients are supported to achieve their chosen goals while having opportunities for learning and employment, participating in family and social life – like others at similar stages of life.
These services are provided by skilled staff who respect people’s individuality, dignity and privacy and are sensitive and supportive of their aspirations, well-being and needs.
Our facilities are designed to encourage independence and a sense of being at home. Our residential and respite services include support with personal cares, access to a range of community and recreational activities, and support for our clients to be as independent as possible.
The support provided by this service helps a person to carry out everyday activities, including:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Daily personal cares
Household tasks such as laundry and housework
- Learning new skills and having new experiences
- Getting out and about and doing things in the community such as joining support groups and mixing with other people
- Accessing community services such as doctors, dentists, hairdressers and banking services
Our goal is to provide an environment where individuals can live safely and participate in a community of choice with appropriate levels of care whilst maintaining control and the right to make personal choices.
Our service offers:
- Experienced support staff
- Accommodation in single rooms
- Accessible bathrooms
- Dining room and TV room/lounge
- Outdoor areas
- Full meal service
- Full linen service and access to shared laundry facilities
- Access to a Nursing service
- Promote access to local community-based activities
- Promote access to activities, groups and outings
LFT holds contracts for the provision of adult physical disability residential support with the Ministry of Health and ACC.
The service provides for a level of support that offers a good quality of life in a homely environment. It is a 24/7 service enabling our clients to have opportunities to maximise the inclusion and participation within the service an in the wider community
Accessing this service
Referrals for Community Residential Living can be made by your local Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC):
- For Wellington, this is Life Unlimited Lower Hutt
- For Whanganui, this is AccessAbility Whanganui
These agencies are responsible for assessing and authorising the client’s support needs and providing assistance to the client and family when choosing a provider. For more information visit the Ministry of Health website here.
We also offer ‘fee for service’ for private or self referral clients.
Once we receive a referral we:
- Arrange an initial interview and assessment conducted with the client/whānau/significant others in their family environment (or location of their choice)
- Upon acceptance and admission to the service, we develop a comprehensive support plan with the client and their family/whānau/significant others, incorporating individual goals, needs, aspirations and interests