Laura Fergusson Trust offers short term respite care for adults with physical disability. Clients supported in our respite care are offered the opportunity to be included in the activities of the residential service.
Our respite service allows clients, who are normally cared for at home by their family or loved ones, to stay temporarily at Laura Fergusson in a residential setting.
Respite could be as short as an overnight stay or several weeks, allowing clients and their caregivers a change from their daily routine and stresses. It’s an essential part of the overall support we offer clients and their caregivers.
Clients can gain a lot from their stay with us, with families also benefiting from some time out.
Clients can maintain physical functioning while also making friends and developing social and practical skills through a range of activities and services.
Facilities and services include:
- A fully equipped kitchen which provides all catering on-site
- Dining room and TV room/lounge
- Outdoor area
- All the basics, such as bedding, towels and linen
- Assistance with personal care, hygiene, transfers, mobility and communication 24/7
- Facilitation of established routines and activities
- Access to activities, groups and outings
Accessing this service
To access respite support requires a referral from either the NASC or ACC
This service is available to individuals who have a physical disability and are aged 17 years and over. Respite days can be arranged by the primary carers/whānau who are providing support at home or via self-referral.
Each referring agency or funder has their own needs assessment process. These agencies are responsible for assessing and authorising the client’s respite needs and providing assistance to the client and family when choosing a provider.
Once we receive a referral we:
- Arrange an initial interview with the client at their home
- Develop an individual lifestyle plan detailing the needs, aspirations, interests and goals of the client
- Book the dates and number of days for the initial stay
- Explain the booking system for future stays
This service is available at our Naenae and Whanganui bases.
This service may be funded through the Ministry of Health (MOH), Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) or District Health Boards (DHBs).
We also offer a ‘fee for service’ option.